Welcome to our church
“Blue Coat is recognised by the wider community as a place of reconciliation and support, where all may flourish through excellent partnerships forged between the school, families, governors and the church.” SIAMS report 2019
Blue Coat CE (A) Infant School works in close partnership with St. Matthew’s Church. We are part of the same family and work together to enrich the lives of children and families in the heart of our community. The church is delighted to be able to contribute something to the distinct Christian ethos of the school.
St. Matthew’s facts and figures….
The crypt of St. Matthew’s dates from the 13th Century, although alterations were made in the 15th and 19th centuries.
The Lych or Corpse gate was built in 1927 as a memorial to George and Catherine Gill.
The churchyard railings were taken away for scrap during World War 2.
By 1756 the churchyard was full.
St. Matthew’s didn’t have a pulpit until 1603.
St. Matthew’s stands on a hill known today as Church Hill with a cobbled street and a flight of steps leading up to the church.
Churchyards were busy places in the past and parishoners made solemn agreements there.
In the past the market cross stood at the foot of the steeple and poultry, dairy produce and other market goods were sold there.
We are very proud to be associated with such a vibrant, active church,
please view their website for further information….
Reverend Mark Kinder the vicar of St. Lukes in Chuckery and The Crossing at St Pauls.
Also a popular visitor to our school for celebrations and assemblies.
The Blue Coat Foundation
As well as being part of the Blue Coat Federation, the school is part of the Blue Coat Foundation of three schools (Infant, Junior and Secondary Academy) and linked to St Matthew’s Church.
The school is committed to serving its multi-faith community and maintaining the highest standards of learning for all the Blue Coat children.
The three schools offering a Christian education for children from the age of three through to nineteen.
Each school holds several services at St Matthew’s throughout the year.
The Foundation comes together annually to celebrate our uniqueness with the Mayor of Walsall and the local community for CIVIC SUNDAY.
This service is traditionally followed by the Bun and Shilling Ceremony at the town hall.
This tradition began in 1553 when the Mayor of Walsall would invite children from Blue Coat School to attend his parlour where they would receive a shilling followed by a tea in the Mayors Parlour.
The Buns and Shilling ceremony is symbolic: the bun being the help given to the family and the shilling of the help given to the children with their education.